If you’re missing one or more teeth and considering dental implants, you’re probably wondering: do dental implants work like real teeth?
The quick answer: YES!
Dental implants are the closest you can get to restoring your healthy, natural teeth. Implants are a permanent solution to your missing teeth that look, feel, and function just like your real ones.
What is a dental implant anyway?
Let’s start with the basics.
Replacing a tooth using a dental implant requires three components:
- Crown (or dentures).
First, an artificial tooth root known as a post is surgically placed into your jawbone. The post is usually made of ultra-durable titanium, the same metal material used in many hip and knee replacements.
After the post is placed, it typically takes several weeks to a few months for the surrounding jawbone to heal around the implant. This process, known as osseointegration…Opens in a new window to an article discussing osseointegration further…, creates a solid and permanent foundation, just like a real tooth root!
Once osseointegration is complete, a small connector is attached to the implant just above the gumline. This connector, known as an abutment, prepares your implant post to support your new tooth or dentures securely.
Next, an artificial tooth known as a crown is fixed to the implant via the abutment. The crown is the part of the implant you see above your gumline, a pearly-white new tooth to replace your missing one!
In some cases, dentures will attach to the implant instead of a crown. Dentures can either be removable or permanently fixed by your dentist.
Why are dental implants so awesome?
It’s no secret we think dental implants are an excellent restorative solution because they function just like the real thing.
- Preserve healthy jawbone: This is a big one! All bones require a regular amount of stimulation to maintain healthy density. Your jawbone is no exception. When you are missing a tooth, the surrounding jawbone doesn’t get the normal stimulation it needs from chewing and quickly degrades, putting the health of your smile in jeopardy. Dental implants are the only restorative solution that preserves natural bone and stimulates growth, which is critical for the longevity and health of your smile.
- Natural look and feel: Once you have a dental implant, you won’t even notice it’s there. It will blend in perfectly with the rest of your smile.
- Easy care: No special care is required for your implant. Just maintain your normal oral health routine of brushing and flossing, and come in for regular dental hygiene check-ups every six months.
- Eat normally: Missing teeth can cause all kinds of problems, including trouble chewing and eating normally. Even dentures can cause eating challenges since they tend to slide around. Implants resolve all these issues. Eat anything you want with comfort and confidence.
- Durable and permanent: Like your real teeth, with proper care, dental implants can last a lifetime. Of all the solutions for restoring missing teeth, they are typically the best long-term option. You may never have to think about your missing teeth ever again!
- Proven success: Modern dental implants have had an excellent track record for over 30 years, with a success rate of about 98%…Opens in new tab to research article citing the 98 percent success rate….
Are dental implants right for me?
So now that you know dental implants work like real teeth, you may be eager to take the next steps.
Most people with missing teeth are candidates for dental implants, but the only way to know for sure is to see an experienced dentist.
Dr. Kris Johnson at Harbour Pointe Family Dentistry is a restorative dentistry expert, making him a top choice for dental implants in Mukilteo, WA.
We also serve surrounding communities in the Puget Sound area, including Mill Creek, Edmonds, Boulevard Bluffs, Picnic Point, Evergreen, Perrinville, and Snohomish.
Schedule your consultation today!
Just click the button below to make a convenient appointment.
Or you can contact us by one of these other means: